January 2, 2012

Old new inspiration for 2012

P34

Call me geek, but for some reason I felt that the best motivation to get back to regular training will be with new watch. And not just any new watch, but the one that helped me train for many successful races - RS800cx.

For variety of reasons I could not get consistency in training last year - well the main reasons were abnormal amount of travel (its never good sign when the stewardess know your name) and of course 4 months long injury with additional 2 months recovery period which pretty much destroyed my tri season 2011.

I felt that I need to get some outside help with motivation to get out of bed early morning each day and get the workouts done. I think this new watch I got from my wife for Christmas will help me do just that. After all this is the year of aging up to the most competitive age group under the sun. And it is not 35-39.

Have a great 2012 everybody.

7 comments:

Jay Mijares said...

Jan, nice to see you back! Weren't you using the RS800CX previously? Or did something happen to that one?

Stuart said...

I am patiently waiting for the 910xt!

kxux said...

Correct I used to have Polar RS800cx PTE. But then I bought Powertap wheel and got rid of all the Polar sensors as I installed ANT+ speed/cadence sensors to my bike. But I realized that was a mistake since Polar HRMs are the best HRMs (at least for me).
I continue to use Garmin 310xt as bike computer, but Garmin's heart rate sensor is appalling - I had so many issues with it that I just gave up.

@Stuart: Yep that looks nice, but not much improvement if people already own 310xt and Swimsense (like me).

Jay Mijares said...

Jan, re: Garmin's HR sensor, I've found that using the Polar Wearlink strap with the Garmin HR sensor works quite well. I'm experimenting with the Garmin FR610 and like how it records R-R. FirstBeat Athlete works better for me when gauging recovery than TrainingPeaks TSS. Though Polar's Training Load was a close second until they started messing with the algorithm on PPT.com.

Whatever happened to your Suunto T6C? Did you give that up as well, or do you still plan on using it for triathlons? I'm hoping to do a Sprint Triathlon during the summer and am trying to figure out if I should stick with my Polar s810i the entire time or go for either the Suunto T6D or Garmin 910XT.

Спортни стоки said...

Once I've read that to keep your motivation, you should buy a hearth-rate monitor. Or use it if you have one. Because by observing the results you subconciously try to improve them.

kxux said...

@J. Mijares - I have used the Polar Wearling with Garmin sensor as well, but still there were more problems with the HR reading in 310xt that I would have expected. Thus the switch back to something more reliable that fits me. I had 610 for some time, but then returned it as it is really more of a runner's watch rather than something I could utilize. I could train with it, but the constant re-charging of these units just bothers me - I tried them all and none fit me (210, 405, 610). But that does not mean they are bad, just that they do not fit my lifestyle. Enough I have to charge my phone every night ;-).

The Suunto is long gone - it is good unit, but has limited planed exercise options. I did not utilize the R-R as much and I got used to monitoring my TSS rather than the EPOC/TE values. Also it seemed like too much work to load my data to TrainingPeaks for my coach and then also analyze them in FB Athlete.

Bookmaking Software said...

It is not Geek. It is that you want a devise that it fits your needs when you are doing the activity that you invest most of your time.