May 30, 2010

44mph to 0 in 25 seconds or how I had my second bike crash

After the crash

Well the title says it all - I had second crash today - on my bike that is. I was doing a nice challenging 70-75 mile loop and I was enjoying myself until the last downhill. It was a steep one and I was going pretty good until I hit the wet part of the road in the woods and had to start breaking approaching a T intersection. Long story short in 25 seconds I went from flying down the hill 44mph (or about 70kph) to sliding on my side, arms, belly, the other side, helmet (luckily I had one) as the back wheel of the bike lost grip. It seemed like a split second, but according to my log it was a long 25 seconds slide. I'm all bandaged-up now. Luckily nothing got broken. Just many bruises and road rash. I'm seriously thinking about starting to shave my legs ;-).

I'll spare you the gross pictures of my bruises and instead offer picture of my soon to be replaced helmet. In the other news Ian had great kids triathlon race and we all got to participate - Dasa swam with him, Veronika ran by his side on the bike leg and I ran with him the two laps around the parking lot. Good times. Blog post coming soon.

7 comments:

David Stopher said...

Heck Jan, that's some birthday present to yourself!!!! - Glad that you're safe....... I really do hate flying downhill on a wet road, it's a complete lottery!

Leah said...

Oh, no! Not a fun experience on your birthday! Hope you heal up fast.

Jay in SF said...

Ouch! Jan, glad you're doing okay!! Happy Birthday!!!

Chris said...

Wow, glad you're OK, that's crazy. Hope you heal up soon!

Stuart said...

Ouch ouch ouch!

Body armor more than shaved legs me thinks!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Yikes!! Glad you're ok and didn't get more hurt!

kxux said...

Thank you guys for the well wishes. I'm ready to slow down on the descends now. I think next time I'll take a notch slower on the wet roads.